tip toe threads

because most of it happens when the chillens are sleepin

**

****

Sunday, June 15, 2008

17 Years!

Disclaimer: This is Paul, and Kristen will likely find the post really really lame.

We are being invaded in our part of the country. Above is the invader, the Magicicada, in a photo I took in front of our local library. There are literally millions of these bugs emerging from a 17 year hiatus. There life cycle is as such: Their eggs are laid on the branches of trees by the adult Cicada, who subsequently dies. The nymph Cicada (sə-ˈkā-də) will fall from the tree branches and burrow into the ground and feed on the roots of the tree...for 17 years. After the 17 years pass, the adult Cicada will emerge and make insane amounts of noise in an effort to mate.

I cannot emphasis how insane the amount of noise is. I took Dallin to his speech appointment at the hospital, which is surrounded by trees. It would have been near impossible to speak to someone more than a few yard away. One landed and Dallin's neck, which really didn't go over well with the little fella. I went home and told Kristen how amazingly loud the Cicada's were, and she told me she had heard them, so no need to act interested in what I had to say.

Two days later I got a message on the voice mail at work, "Paul, you have got to hear how loud the Cicada's are here (sarcasm oozing)." Thirty seconds of holding the phone out, commenting on how loud they were, etc. she had had her fun and said goodbye.

Anyway, I thought that the Cicadas were noteworthy and that I would write a post.

Hey, pickins' have been slim lately. Have you seen how few posts we have.

6 comments:

  1. My aunt and uncle in Maryland always tell me about these...would be pretty awesome to experience.
    So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eww. My sister had one get stuck in her hair years ago. Apparently, these bugs are not only gross and huge, they scream too. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I saw those on the discovery channel. I kinda thought they were probably making it up. I'm kinda wondering if you guys are too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Paul, I wish I could hear them and see them. What an amazing adaptation they have, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would think with your few posts that the cicadas had eaten up your whole family!

    Hate those things, but will take them if I have to get through them to get to the fireflies!

    ReplyDelete