tip toe threads

because most of it happens when the chillens are sleepin

**

****

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Adventures in Thrifting


I decided to give thrifting sweaters a try I went to Goodwill and found loads and loads of things that I could buy. I ended up getting two bed sheets, and three sweaters all for $11. The bed sheets have such fun, vintage patterns that I can't wait to cut up and make something out of. The mossy green sweater was already felted a bit, so I am going to felt it a bit more. There was a pink chenille sweater that I pulled apart and made Maggie, the whale (next to maggie in the picture is Max, the octopus, a product of my scrap yarn experiment). And then there was the SUPER large, grey hoody pullover. I got so much yarn out of this one, although the quality of the yarn is not that good. It is quite thick, which is nice, but... I will try to explain it how Paul did. (It was made in Ecuador, by the way). Paul's description, "They had the sheep and the loom and the knitting machine all right next to each other and there was one long piece of wool/yarn that went from one station to the next. No cleaning, or removing burrs and dirt, just one continuous string." If I could illustrate, there would be a drawing of the whole contraption.This is a picture of the yarn drying after I washed it for the second time. I am actually glad that the yarn is so "shoddy" because I can experiment with it a lot and not be afraid to ruin it. I am planning on dying it all different colors. I read on a blog somewhere (and of course I can't find it anymore) about dying yarn with Kool Aid. Sounds like fun, probably smells good, too!


1 comment:

  1. I am loving your thrifting adventures! I felted a couple of sweaters, but now what do I do with them? So do you just cut them and sew them like normal fabric???? thanks for the cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete