tip toe threads

because most of it happens when the chillens are sleepin

**

****

Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Australia Day!

Today is Australia Day. We called Gampa Seele to wish him a happy day, because he is the only person that we know of that has been to Australia. I honor of this big day, we made ANZAC biscuits, a famous Australian cookie. They were yummy!
ANZAC Biscuits--taken from Skip to My Lou with her commentary added.
1 Cup Rolled Oats
¾ Cup desiccated coconut (I use sweetened flaked)
1 Cup flour
1 Cup sugar
½ Cup butter
1 Tablespoon Golden Syrup (I use light corn syrup)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons boiling water

Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut together.
Melt syrup and butter together.
Mix soda with boiling water and add to melted butter and syrup. Add this to dry ingredients.
Place 2 teaspoons or a tablespoon of mixture on a greased baking tray.
Blake in a slow (150 C or 300F) oven for 20 minutes. Watch carefully as they quickly burn if left too long. (I baked mine about 15 minutes)

Andrea’s Footnote: ANZAC stands for Australia, New Zealand Army Corp. These cookies were sent across the world to the young soldiers fighting in World War I. They store well!

Makes 2-3 dozen
Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Since I work with a heap of Aussie's, we celebrated Australia Day at work. Someone brought in Lamingtons, another famous Australian treat. They were delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way back when I was preggo with Caleb we decided to learn about a new place each week for F.H.E. The first (and last) place we did was Australia and we made Anzac biscuits for treats-they were good!Thanks for reminding me of a fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me! How do you know all these things? What are anzac biscuits?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darvell has been, so next year you can call him too. Just kidding! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, what are anzac biscuits like? They sound quite exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, I didn't know that the link didn't work. Sorry!

    They are little coconut cookies and they were tasty!

    The link should work now for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete